For the Winter 2022-2023, Kimpex provided me with one of their two-piece snowmobile suits to try: the 2023 CKX Alaska snowmobile suit. This suit is the warmest, most versatile and most durable that CKX produces. It was designed to take into account our recent winters where we find a wide range of temperatures from freezing cold to mild, from snow to rain. The cut and design of the coat make it suitable for everyday activities.
2023 CKX Alaska Snowmobile Suit: My Observations
Looking at the characteristics of this set, we can see that Kimpex used quality materials and took into account the needs of snowmobilers, including:
- a shell with a breathable membrane that keeps us dry even in the rain and protects us from the wind;
- the insulation is 200g Primaloft known for its ability to keep us warm with minimal weight.
Below are the characteristics of the jacket:
- Taslan 100% Nylon fabric;
- Fleece lining on shoulders and back;
- Sealed seams;
- YKK Aquaguard water-resistant front zipper;
- 2 zippered handwarmer pockets;
- Easy access zippered chest pocket;
- Additional pocket on sleeve;
- Side ﬁlet vents with zipper closure;
- Adjustable and removable hood;
- Adjustable cuff sleeves;
- Stretchy inner cuffs;
- Interior snow skirt;
- Pre-shaped elbows for comfort;
- Emergency switch ring;
- Reflective prints and logos.
Below are the characteristics of the overalls:
- Insulation: 170 g PrimaLoft;
- Wind resistance (membrane): 10 000 mm;
- Water resistance (membrane): 10 000 mm;
- Breathability (membrane): 10 000 g/m²/day;
- Taslan fabric 100% Nylon;
- Fleece-lined seat and knees;
- Sealed seams;
- Highly resistant nylon reinforcements on knees, legs and seat;
- YKK zipper at front opening;
- 2 zippered pockets on the hips;
- Adjustable waist;
- Adjustable and removable shoulder straps;
- Zippers at the bottom of the pants for easy access to boots;
- Adjustable leg length with Velcro;
- Velcro adjustment and snow gaiters at the bottom of the pants;
- Pre-shaped knees for comfort;
- Reflective prints.
Let’s continue with the jacket.
The coat has several pockets. It is warm, but I could feel the chill in my arms in very cold weather. However, if I put on a middle layer, it was no longer a problem. It also has a moisture-wicking membrane that kept me dry. Rain or wet snow never worried me. This jacket also has a lot of reflective material. It is light and flexible even in the coldest weather.
Feedback after the experiment
The overalls are very warm and the interior fleece at the seat and knees really keep us warm. I also rode in the rain and slush while staying dry.
I like the position of the 4 pockets on the front. There is a zipper on each side of the pants that go from top to bottom I find it very useful to access my inner pants pockets. At the boot level, the gaiter has a velcro strap for easy attachment to the boot. In my case, I did not have to use it. The pants also have reflective material in relevant places.
Conclusion of my 2023 CKX Alaska Snowmobile Suit Test
To summarize, this is a very good set that should satisfy you and that, during cold weather, will be more efficient with a mid-layer. To conclude, I would like to thank Kimpex for allowing me to try it.